Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Stu the poo happy birthday to you!


I'm a bad bad blogger....Stu's birthday was the 11th of January! Yep he's 33! I feel like I have a couple good excuses for not getting a tribute to my best pal posted, but I won't bore you with details.

Fact is that his birthday probably wasn't the funnest ever this year. We did get to have some good times on the Saturday before his birthday with some of our friends. We went to Mesquite to shoot at the shooting range (Stu's idea of a GREAT time) and actually it was pretty fun. Then we ate at the Eureka buffet (Stu's other idea of Great food) most of it was good and thankfully no one got sick!


The thing was that our cell phones weren't working in Mesquite and right when we got out of the canyon back towards St. George both of our phones had a million urgent messages. Come to find out that one of the boys that Stu counsels had died! This is always a TERRIFYING prospect for a therapist. The first thought that crosses your mind is suicide. Luckily this wasn't the case, but there were unanswered questions, upset parents, and hundreds of other kids wanting to know why it happened and if it was going to happen to them.


For the next three days and nights (including his birthday) Stu counseled the parents and the siblings of the boy, spoke in front of his whole company, ran group therapies to help the friends of the boy that passed away, made arrangements, and took care of all the legal aspects. He was so worn out....not to mention that he was grieving himself. He puts a lot of himself into helping these kids and ends up loving them. It was really hard. He watched this cute kid make positive changes and it was hard to see him go.


The parents ended up asking Stu to speak in their childs funeral the following Saturday. He flew out and spoke in a HUGE church in front of pastors and friends and family of the boy. He always second guesses everything he says, but I know it was just right. I'm humbled and amazed at Stu's abilities when it comes to counseling...he thinks of it as a job, but I think of it as a calling!


So it wasn't a super fun birthday, but we did learn and grow a lot. I love Stu more than I probably can express in corny words. He's my best pal and I hope there are lots and lots of more birthdays... fun or not!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I bet Stu did an awesome job at the funeral! That definitely is not going to be up there with the best birthday ever, but he probably won't forget it either! Give him a big sloppy kiss from me, I'm sure that will cheer him right up!!! love you guys!

The Brown's said...

Happy Birthday Stu!!!
Sorry to hear about all the sadness. I am sure Stu did a great job of speaking. It really says a lot about him that they would want him to speak.

Jill said...

Happy Birthday Stu! I'm with Danielle, I think your "job" is a calling. I'm sure you help many people doing what you do, although I'm sure it's often very stressful, like in the case of this boy. Keep it up Stu. The world needs more people who are willing to do your kind of work.

Dill

Amy said...

Oh please tell Stu happy day from us okay!!! I'm glad you guys went and did something fun, but how sad that he had one of his patients die, I'm so so sorry!!! How hard for him, but I know he did a good job speaking, Stu is really the best!

By the way I LOVE your family pics and the ones of your 4 kids is the BEST, they are so dang adorable!

Wilson Family said...

Sorry about the birthday. We had fun until that happened though!!! Next time we need to eat somewhere else. Please!

Kelli Proctor said...

what a couple of cuties! You guys make a way cute couple! Hey I think Rog said one of his games should be in St. George! You guys should totally come and hang with me at the game and watch Rog! Would be so fun, maybe we could hang before or after the game too! So fun! I LOVE St. George!

Josh and Lauren said...

We had a great time in Mesquite too- glad we could be apart of it... even if the food was 'iffy'! :) We felt so bad for Stu's loss. He is such a great example- we're always amazed. Josh loves working with him in YM's too! love ya guys

Jobi Niu said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STU! What a sad story for him.. His job is for sure a "calling" I'm sure he's just amazing at it.