Friday, February 6, 2009

Missionary Madness

I took my kids up north last week and spent a couple of days with my sister before she left on her mission. I'll be honest and say I was more worried about her than I have been for any of my brothers who have left previously, but I can't believe how awesome she is. She is a pillar of strenght and determination and I know she will be an incredible missionary. The hardest part for me was watching my kids...They are getting old enough now to really understand what is going on and the night before Kara left, Mitchell (who ADORES his Aunt Kara) just wept. He and Braden just kept telling me that 18 months is forever. Josslyn, (aka mini-Kara, everyone calls her this because she looks just like Kara and she has always loved Kara sooo much!) kept sitting on Kara's lap at the MTC and when Kara went to go out the door Josslyn just screamed and cried Kara Kara Kara over and over again. I have to admit I shed a tear or two when my baby wanted her Aunt. I'm a bit selfish cause I only have the one sister so, Heavenly Father can borrow her for 18 months but after that she's all mine...that is until she's married I guess!

8 comments:

adrienne said...

I called believe that Kara is old enough to go on a mission!

Wilson Family said...

I am sorry that she is gone, but she will be awesome at it. Your kids will really be glad when she comes home.

Brigg and Dianne said...

She will be an awesome missionary! I'm a little jealous, it's an experience I always wish I could have had. Write her lots of letters!!

Kelli Proctor said...

aww..sisters are the best! I love them! That is so awesome she is going on a mission! Good luck to her!

Anonymous said...

oh, I feel your joy and pain! It killed me to see Michelle go, but I was so proud! I loved the letters I got and when we got to visit on the phone. Kara is awesome!!! She will make the best missionary ever, just like you are the best little mom ever! I love your family! (individual and ma, pa, sister, bro...etc.) Hopefully Michelle will be able to go see Kara, I mean Sister Wirig!

Lauren said...

That is so great you could all be there for her. Looks like she'll be missed- but all the more exciting when she returns home a sucessful missionary! We'll be experiencing this with Josh's youngest bro this weekend leaving next week on his mission.

Michelle said...

It really is hard to say goodbye, especially when its your only sister! The best part is that because you are so close, you will get to enjoy her mission with her! It is a great experience for everyone. I am so excited for her.

It is still hard to say goodbye. Tammy and I won't even tell each other goodbye anymore...maybe one day we won't have to:)

Jill said...

I didn't know Kara was going on a mission? How did she get old enough to do that? Where is she going?
Good for her. She'll be a great missionary although I know you guys will miss her. Good luck Kara!