Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Coyote Fight in My Front Yard!


WARNING THIS IS A BIT YUCKY!!!

Okay so if any of you know Stu at all, you know that his favorite thing to talk about is coyote hunting. Our brother-in-law, Dallin introduced him to it and he has had it on the brain for years. Well, I have seen coyotes around our house late at night, and have mentioned this to Stu several times. His dream come true would be to shoot a coyote from the front yard. Well, his dream came true...Sort Of! Well at least it could have.


Last night (or should I say early morning) there apparently was a coyote/dog fight in our front yard. It woke all the neighbors and after a while of loud yelping and barking our neighbor Josh (a member of the SWAT team and PD) came out in his undies and shot one of the coyotes. He thought he missed because all the dogs ran away. It hurt his pride a bit since he is supposedly a really great shot. Now, You may be wondering why Stu didn't take a shot to fulfill his dream...Well that's because the SQUIRES WERE SLEEPING. Not one person in our family even stirred. You would think wild animals and gun shots would get us to rise but NOPE. Stu was sooo mad that the neighbors didn't call him.

This evening however, Stu was talking to our neighbor about the incident, and they were trying to follow the blood trail to find the coyote when Stu spotted the dead critter about 150 yards away. He said he noticed the "fur blowing in the breeze"! Our neighbor was again proud of his shooting abilities, and Stu was proud of his "Eagle Eyes" as he calls them. We all went and took pictures and you can imagine how interesting a dead animal is to my three young boys! I know it's a bit gruesome, but we all thought it to be pretty funny.

11 comments:

Beckie said...

Wow--Exciting night! I would have been glad to have missed all the fighting and shooting (since I am an outdoors newby) but it sounds like it would have been Stu's dream come true. Sorry you missed it...

Thank goodness for his eagle eyes though, it sounds like he may have saved the day!

Your kiddos will probably be telling stories about that for a long time. Kids remember the cutest things.

Glad you are all safe and sound!

Brittany said...

I can't believe it! What an exciting world it is there in the George!

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

Yikes!

Amy said...

Good job eagle eye Stu! Okay that is just a bit scary to think that they are that close to your house. At least you've got a team of hunters to keep everyone safe. Wow looks like all the adventure is in St. George. Be safe okay!

Forsyth Family said...

Stu,
you are our hero. Our boys will be in awe of you when I show them this, especially Alex who has gone a few times but never shot one. You rock

Cousin Darren

Brigg and Dianne said...

You slept through that? Pretty crazy. So.... what will happen to the dead body? Is someone coming to take it away, or are all the neighbor kids planning a funeral?

Jennikunz said...

Don't you get a bounty for killing coyotes?

Kelli Proctor said...

Oh my goodness, I totally saw a cayote the other day here too! I couldnt believe it! I was coming home from dropping CJ off at school and there it was! Freaky! Well, glad you guys got him and then found him, that husband of yours has got some skillz with those eagle eyes of his! Ha ha! Thats funny! Have a wonderful day, and take comfort in the fact that we have them here too apparently!

Michelle said...

Ahh, such fond memories of home...Yeah in all the years we lived there, I never had a coyote in my front yard! You guys know how to make the most of southern Utah life! What an adventure!

Wilson Family said...

Your pictures are better than mine. I am glad that the kids didn't want to do a funeral though. It stunk to bad to hang around and say a few words regarding the sleepless night.haha

JBAR said...

That is awesome!! I didn't know that kinda stuff happened in a city like St. G?!?!
Tell Stu to bust out the coyote call and I will be down. We will kill the critters before the dogs can!